Image via Warren County Jail.


Investigators believe one person is behind a large number of the threats made against US Jewish institutions in 2017, the NYPD’s Deputy Commissioner & head of counter-terrorism, John Miller, says.

John Miller told TV show CBS This Morning on Thursday the threats were co-ordinated and a man using a voice changer was behind them.

They also thought he was using a phone spoofing device that made it appear the call was not from the number he was using.

The Anti-Defamation League says 148 threats targeting Jewish institutions have been received across the country since January.

“We have an offender with some technical prowess here,” Miller said.

“Most of the time, the person who’s legitimately trying to do harm doesn’t call ahead to diminish the amount of harm he or she is doing,” the NYPD’s Deputy Commissioner & head of counter-terrorism, John Miller, says.

A Jewish children’s museum in Brooklyn was evacuated for a few hours on Thursday after police investigated an emailed bomb threat.

In the wake of threat against Jewish groups in New York and across the United States, the New York Police Department’s head of counter terrorism, John Miller, said it appears that the threats are not tied to violent terrorist plots.


Rather, Milller said the threats are geared to spur fear and “wreak havok.” He also said that the recent arrest in St. Louis Missouri by the FBI indicates that those who are making the threats will be caught eventually, regardless of “whatever technical curtain” they use to hide their identity.

Image via Warren County Jail.

Earlier this week federal prosecutors in New York filed charges against Juan Thompson, an ex-journalist alleging that he was responsible for at least eight of the JCC threats.

Get OS News Live Updates  by email and never miss our top breaking stories   free-sign-up

 

Video Source: AP







LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here